According to a 2013 study carried out by Cisco, 74% of consumers are open to virtual doctor visits. This statistic has also likely increased since 2013, especially when we consider the effects of the Coronavirus pandemic on the future of public and personal health. Our reliance on technology continues to impact almost every aspect of our lives. So it begs the question, why should healthcare be an exception to the rule?
There are many advantages to telemedicine for both patients and medical practitioners. But what are they and can technology really help grow your healthcare business?
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine involves diagnosing and treating patients via telecommunications technology. It’s an easy way to connect with your patients from anywhere, at any time.
What are the advantages of telemedicine?
- Safely communicate with patients:
- Telemedicine allows you to treat and diagnose your patients without the need for in-person interactions. They can remain safely in their homes throughout their appointments, mitigating the risk of potentially spreading an infection to others or contracting additional infections from other patients.
- Manage everything in one place:
- The best telemedicine platforms will allow you to manage everything from scheduling appointments to controlling payments seamlessly and all in one place. This not only saves you time, but it also helps to drive efficiency across all areas of the business.
- Convenient for everyone:
- Telemedicine facilitates convenient appointments that can be scheduled and carried out at a time that suits both you and your patients.
- Less time waiting:
- Patients no longer have to remain in waiting rooms before they are seen to. They can simply access their appointment online in just a few clicks.
How can it help grow your business?
- Save on costs:
- Due to the convenience of patients having the ability to schedule and attend appointments from home, you will likely see a reduction in the number of cancellations. Additionally, telemedicine allows them to have control over their health, leading to lower healthcare service costs for both you and your patients.
- Access new markets:
- As telemedicine allows you to interact with your patients remotely, the world is your oyster when it comes to reaching them. As long as your patients have an internet connection, you can treat people from anywhere in the world.
- Increased patient retention:
- Telemedicine makes it easier for your patients to reach you in times of emergency, resulting in an increase in the number of satisfied patients. This will also help to increase patient retention rates.
- Drive efficiency:
- Technology and efficiency often go hand-in-hand and telemedicine is no exception. As long as communication with patients, payments, and scheduling are managed in one place, operations and productivity will have the opportunity to increase considerably.
The advantages of telemedicine can be clearly seen by both patients and practitioners. Consumers are also ready and willing to experience virtual healthcare visits, so providing the option of telemedicine at your own practice really is a no-brainer. From cost-saving to convenient patient communications, telemedicine is beneficial for your patients’ health as well as your business’ growth.